studio das weisse haus is pleased to announce a two to three-month residency – between September 17 and December 17 – for one curator with a profound knowledge of Japanese contemporary art, who does not reside in Vienna. Please note, that studio das weisse haus is considering candidates with international experience, and excellent English in speaking and writing is mandatory. The participant will be a selected by a Call for Proposals.
150 years of diplomatic relations between Austria and Japan give reason for this project, that combines a curatorial residency and an exhibition in das weisse haus in 2019. The main challenge of the curatorial concept is to refer to the bilateral relations and to make them visible by including artists of these two countries, who relate to Austria and/or Japan in their artistic practice.
The curatorial residency gives the selected candidate the opportunity to finalize the submitted concept. Therefore, studio das weisse haus will arrange studio-visits with local artists, guided tours through current exhibitions and collections, field trips and other events. While staying in Vienna, the selected curator will prepare the group exhibition in das weisse haus, presented in the first half of 2019. Therefore, the candidate will be invited to Vienna for another two to three weeks, in order to supervise the installing of the artworks and to be present at the opening. The dates will be finalized in coordination with him/her.
The selected curator will receive
- a monthly allowance of 800 euros to cover basic living costs
- a one-time contribution to travel expenses up to 800 euros depending on the destination
- a private apartment free of charge with basic facilities
- a working space free of charge at studio das weisse haus
- ongoing support by the staff of studio das weisse haus, as well as the aforementioned events and activities, in order to prepare the exhibition.
For the application guidelines, please visit our website